Tips to Help Avoid Falling Victim to Home Renovation Scams
- Be cautious of unsolicited offers via the phone, or door to door.
- Don’t be pressured to make a quick decision and obtain more than one estimate.
- Get recommendations from people you trust and check multiple references.
- Do your research and check online reviews (for example, BBB.org)
- Ensure the contractor is insured and ask about their warranty.
- Draft a written contract clearly outlining the work that is requested and agreed upon.
- Establish a timeline with expected start dates, benchmarks, and anticipated finish dates.
- Establish an exact cost of the project.
- Request a receipt if one is not offered.